3 HOURS 4 COURSES $101+ PER PERSON
Help us honor the legacy of Jonathan Gold. Jonathan’s passing is a huge loss for the Los Angeles food scene and we are hosting this tour in his honor and donating profits to The Hirshberg Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer Research, a national, nonprofit organization dedicated to advancing pancreatic cancer research, and providing information, resources, and support to pancreatic cancer patients and their families.
Our 4-course progressive prix-fixe dining experience visits 4 restaurants that Gold loved and wrote about. – with a sprinkling of culinary history and stories in between.
Our tour focuses on quality over quantity. We will sample 4 dishes, one from each restaurant.
Our value is:
- Our fun and knowledgeable guides
- Curation of the experience through high quality restaurants and dishes
- Stories of the restaurant owners, chefs and neighborhood
- Facilitating interactions with the community
- Seamless logistics (tables are reserved, guests are seated and food arrives quickly)
We are a small boutique company, so tours often sell out. To get your preferred tour time, we recommend purchasing tickets 1 to 2 weeks in advance.
- Hear the stories of chefs, restaurant owners and industry experts!
- Tours Available:
- Sunday August 19th from 11 am-2 pm
- Alcohol pairing upgrade for guests 21+: $16 per person for 2 tasting drinks
- Flat route, approximately 1 1/2 miles
- Tour begins in Downtown Los Angeles. Click here to see your meeting location.
- This is a social dining experience. We feel the best dining experiences are the ones in which we’re seated around tables sharing food and stories with others. Therefore, we have a 4-person minimum and a 20-person maximum. If the minimum number of guests is not reached, we will contact you to reschedule onto another time or date, or offer a refund.
- Want to upgrade to a private tour? Email firstname.lastname@example.org to request your date and time of choosing.
- Gratuities not included – please consider tipping your guide
- Parking: We understand that parking may be difficult in Downtown, so if you’re coming from the Westside (Santa Monica, Culver City, etc.), we highly recommend taking the Expo line metro. Otherwise, there are multiple recommended parking garages near to the start location in DTLA ranging from $5-$20 per day.
- Advance Tickets are required
POSSIBLE TASTINGS (EACH TOUR FEATURES 4 TASTINGS!)
Braised taco tasting of chicken mole poblano and steak picado tacos at authentic yet trendy Mexican restaurant named to Jonathan Gold’s Top 100 LA Restaurant list. (He called the taco a, “taco that could play badass trumpet in a mariachi band and sing sweet love songs to your girlfriend”.)
Visit Grand Central Market, a historic LA landmark that Gold called “a living, breathing organism whose cells are constantly replenishing themselves”
Learn about Filipino rice nuances and taste a rice bowl of Bisteg Tagalog at a spot that Jonathan Gold called “pure, take-no-prisoners Filipino cuisine”.
Savor trendy and delicious avocado toast from “culinary mayor” Chef Joseph Centeno’s newest restaurant which Gold called, “a place of feathery herbs, local grains, unlikely pestos and smears of strong cheese”.
Eat dessert at a French restaurant from the people behind Church and State, a place Gold referred to as “the loveliest French restaurant to open in Los Angeles in years”.
3 DRINK ALCOHOL PAIRING UPGRADE [$26 PER PERSON]
Classic Mexican beer to pair with delicious tacos
A glass of Folk Tree sparking wine paired with avocado toast
A glass of Sauvignon Blanc paired with dessert
One of our core values at Avital is Breathe Curiosity. We enjoy introducing you to new foods and old favorites in new ways. We very much encourage guests to be adventurous and try something new – we’ve even had an 80-year old man try his first oyster with us! Thus, while we love the diverse ways our guests choose to eat, we can accommodate the following restrictions.
- Pregnant Guests
- No Pork
- No Seafood
You will be asked for your dietary restrictions during your booking process. If you are unsure if we can accommodate your restriction, please email us at email@example.com. Please note that this tour may include nuts, dairy, seafood, and pork.
WHY AVITAL TOURS?
Wondering what makes the Avital Los Angeles Downtown Taco Tour different from all other tours? Check out our About Us page for the answer! Or check out our other Los Angeles Food Tours.