Join us on our San Francisco North Beach Food Tour as we explore the Italian restaurant scene and former Barbary Coast - known as the most notorious neighborhood in America during the Gold Rush! Visit the Hidden Tunnels where booze was smuggled in up through Prohibition, and get an exclusive peek at the traditional Italian culture. Let’s eat and drink through this cultural neighborhood!
3 hours 4 courses $89+ per person
Your Culinary Experience
Our 4-course progressive prix-fixe dining experience visits 4 restaurants – two appetizers, one entree, and one dessert, with a sprinkling of culinary history and stories in between.
Our North Beach Food Tour focuses on quality over quantity. Like a great sushi meal, our goal is to have you sample the highest quality ingredients – small dishes with huge flavor. We strive to shift your perspective of cioppino through its story of the person who made it and its invention story in North Beach. And yes, locally caught seafood is expensive!
Our value is:
- Our fun and knowledgeable guides
- Curation of the experience, high quality restaurants and tasting choice
- Stories of the restaurant owners, chefs and neighborhood
- Facilitating interactions with the community
- Seamless logistics (tables are reserved, guests are seated and food arrives quickly)
Since we can only include 4-courses on each experience and we partner with more than 4 awesome restaurants in North Beach, our 4 courses vary based on the date and time of the experience you choose.
To experience all of our restaurants, come back again and again to taste the deliciousness and hear stories from all of our partners.
- Meet chefs, restaurant owners and industry experts and chat with them – hear their historical stories!
- Tours Available:
- Monday: 3pm-6pm
- Friday: 3pm-6pm
- Saturday: 11am-2pm, 3pm-6pm
- Flat route with 2 slight hills, approximately 1 mile
- Our start location varies but is always within a 3-block walk from Washington Square Park (10 minute walk from Downtown San Francisco). Click here to find your upcoming meeting location
- Intimate tour groups limited to 12 people
- This is a social dining experience. We feel the best dining experiences are the ones in which we’re seated around tables sharing food and stories with others. Therefore, we have a 4-person minimum and a 12-person maximum. If the minimum number of guests is not reached, we will contact you to reschedule onto another time or date, or offer a refund.
- Don’t see the date or time you want? Want to upgrade to a private tour? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gratuities not included – please consider tipping your guide
- Advance Tickets are required
Possible Tastings* (Each tour includes 4 tastings!)
Enjoy famous tomato based seafood stew cioppino invented in San Francisco by Italian Fisherman
Taste yummy croquettes in an alleyway trendy cocktail den featured in the New York Times
Housemade charcuterie tasting in historic former Purple Onion Comedy Club where Phyllis Diller, The Kingston Trio, The Smothers Brothers and Maya Angelou got their start
Taste delicious deviled egg and Huckleberry Fritter at award-winning saloon
Handmade kale chips and vegan sampler at Bolivian music venue located in the former Amelio’s, known for hosting Joe DiMaggio and Marilyn Monroe’s wedding dinner. Meet Quentin the owner and hear how she met her husband, a two time Latin Grammy nominated musician, and fell in love before opening their food & music venue together
Authentic Italian wood-fired pizza from the oldest pizza oven on the West Coast – Voted No. 3 Best Pizza in the US according to People Magazine’s Pizza Search
Hearty eggplant parmesan at old-time historical Italian red sauce restaurant
Hand-filled authentic cannoli at a historic Italian bookshop turned cafe
A trio of Gelato tastes featuring partnerships with local food purveyors – TCHO Chocolate, St. George Spirits, Numi Tea and Fiddyment Farm Pistachios
2 Drink Alcohol Pairing Upgrade [$16 per person]
Sip on a refreshing Pimm’s cup cocktail made by some of San Francisco’s best bartenders
Taste specialty McClaren cocktail featuring Junipero Gin
Famous Pisco Punch cocktail invented only a few blocks away in North Beach during the Barbary Coast
A glass of Chianti Classico to complement your cioppino!
Delicious whiskey-based and honey Gold Rush cocktail
Pizza is paired with a glass of wine, Tommaso’s private-label syrah
Glass of Italian Red wine paired with hearty Italian Fare
One of our core values at Avital is Breathe Curiosity. We enjoy introducing you to new foods and old favorites in new ways. We very much encourage guests to be adventurous and try something new – we’ve even had an 80-year old man try his first oyster with us! Thus, while we love the diverse ways our guests choose to eat, we can accommodate the following restrictions.
- Pregnant Guests
- No Pork
- No Seafood
You will be asked for your dietary restrictions during your booking process. If you are unsure if we can accommodate your restriction, please email us at email@example.com. Please note that this tour may include nuts, dairy, seafood, spicy food and pork.
North Beach Food Tour Restaurant Partners
Why Avital Tours?
Wondering what makes the Avital San Francisco North Beach Food Tour different from all other tours? Check out our About Us page for the answer!
We live and breathe our core values and hope you do to:
Build AWESOME Experiences