Our Mission District Food Tour showcases the innovation and trendy restaurants as well as the Mexican cuisine this neighborhood is known for - the best in San Francisco! Stroll through the historic Latin neighborhood learning about its culinary history and incredibly colorful murals, while hearing the stories of chefs, restaurant owners and industry experts. Our progressive meal in San Francisco's Mission District concludes with mouthwatering desserts near Dolores Park.
3 hours 4 courses $84+ per person
3 hours 4 courses $84+ per person
Your Progressive Culinary Experience
Our 4-course progressive prix-fixe dining experience visits 4 restaurants – two appetizers, one entree, and one dessert, with a sprinkling of culinary history and stories in between.
Our Mission District Food Tour focuses on quality over quantity. Like a great sushi meal, our goal is to have you sample the highest quality ingredients – small dishes with huge flavor. We strive to shift your perspective of a piece of cheese through its story of the person who made it and even a unique alcohol pairing. And yes, that cheese is not your average grocery store cheese; it can cost well over $30 per pound!
Our value is:
- our fun and knowledgeable guides
- curation of the experience, relationships with high quality restaurants, and dish choice. We eat all of the bad food so you don’t have too – sigh, hard job 😉
- stories of the restaurant owners, chefs and neighborhood
- facilitating interactions with the community
- seamless logistics (tables are reserved, guests are seated and food arrives quickly)
Since we can only include 4-courses on each experience and we partner with more than 4 awesome restaurants in the Mission District, our 4 courses vary based on the date and time of the experience you choose.
To experience all of our restaurants, come back again and again to taste the deliciousness and hear stories from all of our partners.
- Hear the stories of chefs, restaurant owners and industry experts!
- Tours Available:
- Tuesday: 11am-2pm and 5pm-8pm
- Wednesday: 11am-2pm
- Thursday: 11am-2pm and 5pm-8pm
- Friday: 11am-2pm
- Saturday: 11am-2pm and 3pm-6pm
- Sundays: 11am-2pm and 3pm-6pm
- Alcohol pairing upgrade for guests 21+: $18 per person for 2 tasting drinks
- Flat route, approximately 1 1/2 miles
- Our start location varies but is always within a 3-block walk from the 16th Street Mission District BART Station (15 minutes from Downtown San Francisco). Click here to find your upcoming meeting location
- Intimate tour groups limited to 12 people
- This is a social dining experience. One of our core values at Avital is Create Community, so we feel the best dining experiences are the ones in which we’re seated around tables sharing food and stories with others. Therefore, we have a 4-person minimum. If the minimum number of guests is not reached, we will contact you to help you reschedule onto another time or date with other guests, or offer a refund.
- Don’t see the date or time you want? Have a group of 8 or more and want to upgrade to a private tour? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Gratuities not included – please consider tipping your guide
- Advance Tickets are required
Possible Tastings* (Each Tour includes 4 tastings!)
Sample a Cheese Flight at a New York Times acclaimed chic cheese cafe featuring only American artisan cheeses. Learn about the small American dairy movement from knowledgeable cheesemongers!
Savor Tyler’s Pork Belly Breakfast Tacos at a Southwestern Family-owned Restaurant from the winner of Season 9 of the Amazing Race
Artisan cured Ham and Oyster at San Francisco’s first and only ham and oyster bar considered one of the Bay Area’s Top 100 Restaurants by the SF Chronicle
Sample West coast cult favorite Rebel Within, a cheese and sausage muffin with an oozing soft boiled egg inside, from innovative pastry chef and James Beard nominated, William Werner
Beer-and-a-shot braised chicken and cod Taco duo at trendy Taco bar boasting over 350 different types of tequila
Seasonal sweet potato quesadilla from innovative Mexican vegan restaurant
Mission-style grilled chicken Burrito at authentic taqueria inventor of the Mission-style burrito. Taste history!
Salted Caramel Ice Cream considered one of the top five desserts in America at the United States’ best loved Creamery. Skip the inevitable line with Avital Tours!
Go behind-the-scenes into a commercial chocolate kitchen to learn how truffles are made and sample your flavor choice of a Gelato Pop and truffle
Have your heart set on a particular tasting? Call us at (415) 355-4044 to find out which restaurants will be featured.
2 Drink Alcohol Pairing Upgrade [$18 per person]
Unique dark Belgian Style beer paired with cheeses for incredible pairing unlike any other you’ve ever tasted
An innovative fresh Cherry Tomato Bloody Mary made with Tequila – perfect spiciness for Brunch!
Seasonal Michael Lazar-created cocktail featured on 7×7 Magazine’s list of Top 50 cocktails and featured in the New York Times as one of San Francisco’s best craft cocktail programs
A refreshing Rhone blend white glass of wine paired with the Rebel!
One of our core values at Avital is Breathe Curiosity. We enjoy introducing you to new foods and old favorites in new ways. We very much encourage guests to be adventurous and try something new – we’ve even had an 80-year old man try his first oyster with us! Thus, while we love the diverse ways our guests choose to eat, we can accommodate the following restrictions.
- Pregnant Guests
- No Pork
- No Seafood
You will be asked for your dietary restrictions during your booking process. If you are unsure if we can accommodate your restriction, please email us at email@example.com. Please note that this tour may include nuts, dairy, seafood, spicy food and pork.
Mission District Food Tour Restaurant Partners
Why Avital Tours?
Wondering what makes the Avital Mission District Food Tour different from all other tours? Check out our About Us page for the answer!
We live and breathe by our Core Values:
Build AWESOME Experiences